Sunday, April 28, 2013

Brad Carel Memorial Scholarship

This afternoon Mom, Krista, Careline, and I went to Northfield to present this years $1,000 Brad Carel Memorial Scholarship to a graduating Senior.  We awarded this years scholarship to Joseph Donahoe.  Next year he will be attending the University of Minnesota (Go Gophers!).

Careline actually presented the award this year.  She stood up on stage alongside myself and Krista and read the following speech clearly and confidently in front of an auditorium full of people.  It was a special moment:

My name is Careline.  Brad Carel was my Grandpa (or Bubba as us Grandkids knew him).  Bubba was a 1965 graduate of Northfield High School.  He was a gifted athlete who played football, basketball, and track and field.  My Grandma, Mom, and Aunt tell me that even though he moved away from Northfield after high school, he read the Northfield News every week and kept up especially with the sports.  Even though I was just 3 years old when a sudden heart attack took Bubba away from our family, I will always remember him because he was the best.  The Carel family is proud to present this scholarship to Joseph and we wish him the best of luck.


A big reason why we chose Joseph is because he is a pole vaulter, just like Dad was.  How awesome is this photo of him that was in the local newspaper?!


And here's a photo of Dad vaulting when he was in high school.  Joseph was quite impressed when I told him that Dad placed 7th in the Nation when he was his age.

No comments:

Post a Comment